Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ancient Persian Holiday

Today is a great day! Not only is it St. Patrick's Day but it also a wonderful Persian holiday that has been celebrated for several thousand years!

On this very special night, always the last Tuesday night before the Persian New Year which is precisely at the beginning of spring, we jump over fire and chant a phrase in Farsi that loosely translates to:

"Your burning red color shall be mine, My sickly yellow paleness shall be yours. "

Simply interpreted, the chant means you want the fire to take your paleness, sickness and problems; in return, the fire will give you its redness, warmth and energy. For more information, see:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=88863&sectionid=351020105

I live in a condo so the best I can do is light some candles and jump over them. Traditionally, I also burn something that represents bad things from the year before. This year, I will burn a bunch of IF related crap and hope the fire takes in all of it and gives me life (i.e. fertility). In the process, I will wish the same thing for all of YOU. But if you feel daring, go ahead, light a candle and jump over it tonight saying the above chant. You never know. Maybe we will free ourselves from this ugly sickness.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Can't hurt, I let some white guy from Seattle stick needles in me for fertility... Although, I am quite uncoordinated, so maybe I should use a flameless candle.

I was sorry to hear your transfer did not go as hoped, but hopefully some good comes your way. Stay strong.

Nikki said...

Yes - anything to drive this disease away. I'm going to burn something from my IF too tonight and I'm also going to jump over a candle!

Happy early New Year to you!! :-)

Meinsideout said...

Awesome! I would totally burn down my house but I am tempted to get all of my records, all of the extra syringes, all of my books and burning them in the fireplace and picturing my RE, the urologist, the nurses, everyone jumping over a huge fire!

Erica said...

I'm totally trying this. My husband is still out at his bowling league (dorky, right?) so I can do it without him thinking I'm nuts. Great idea!

Take this nasty, pale yellow sickness and shove it! Happy New Year!

Caroline said...

I'm willing to do anything that helps!
I hope that you are having a good week Darya? You are doing so well. Hang in there!

Amanda said...

Your an EE and a lawyer? That's awesome. I've got a couple of friends that went back for law school.

I have an BS and MS in Biological Engineering but my work is more civil related.

Me and some other mathematically inclined bloggers have developed a theory that infertility is somehow related to mad math skills. However, your husband can know all the math he wants cause I work with a ton of engineers and they all have 2 or 3 kids apiece while their wives enjoy being stay at home moms.