Wednesday, September 10, 2008

As if I needed this!

Ok, so I got my medications a few days ago and given the number of guests we've had and what a crazy few weeks it's been, I didn't have an enormous amount of time to spend on figuring everything out.

Monday morning, I went in for a u/s and bloodwork and asked to speak to a nurse because I had no idea when I will start the meds, which meds nor what dosage. As soon as I started talking to the nurse, I got a bad feeling thinking- this one really doesn't know what she is talking about but I blew it off as nerves. BIG mistake. She goes through and tells me all about how to mix and administer the lupron and that I should start on 9/12 and I made an appointment for a follow up u/s on 9/14. No question regarding if and when my period started- not sure if this is an issue but I thought it was strange. She called me later that day and told me to start the meds today (9/10) instead but I still do not go in until 9/14. I found that odd too given that I started the meds 2 days earlier but I still don't go in until the same day as before (9/14). Ok, whatever.

I have been so swamped and feeling ill the last few days so I didn't have a chance to look at the lupron until this morning. This morning I go to my handy fridge and there is NO LUPRON. There IS something called luprelide or something like that but it doesn't look anything like the vials the nurse showed me and there is only 1 vial, not 3. Of course, I freaked. I checked my packing slip and sure enough it's this luprilide on the slip and not lupron. I called the pharmacist who was actually really helpful but thought my dosage was wrong and I should call the nurse. Long story short and after about 2 hours of being on hold and trying to get through, it turns out I'm on microdose lupron and the instructions are completely different from what the nurse told me. Gee, this makes me feel really secure about how things are run there.

In summary, here is a list of all of the wrong info:

1. wrong drug so wrong instructions
2. she told me 8 units but it's 10 units
3. she told me to stay within 1 inch of my stomach but I'm suppose to inject my thigh

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

As if this crap isn't fucking hard enough. They can't even look at a packing slip, compare it with my RE's instructions and then give me the CORRECT instructions. That makes me really uncomfortable since I have no idea what else they will fuck up.

So, I get into work very late and I already feel like I've had a full day and the day just began.

Ok, taking a deep breath now.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Woah! Slow down - the nurse gave you wrong instructions????? That just sucks! But I'm glad you got it all sorted out! Good luck with the injections. I believe stomach area or thigh doesn't really make a difference - but go with what you feel comfortable doing.